Avatar

Ford recalled 3.3 million vehicles because of the risk



Reading time: 2 minutes

Ford Motor is recalling more than 3.3 million vehicles from North America, which could move unchecked because a damaged or missing part can prevent the vehicle from moving to the desired gear, Reuters reports.

In a filing with the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), Ford said Wednesday that the recall covers various vehicles, Escape 2013-2019, C-Max 2013-2018, Fusion 2013-2016, Transit Connect 2013-2021, and Edge vehicles 2015-2018.

The recall includes just over 2.9 million vehicles in the United States and 394,000 in Canada.

A damaged or missing gearshift cable bushing may prevent the vehicle from shifting to the desired gear, or the vehicle may start on its own after the driver selects the “Park” position.

Ford said it was aware of six reports of property damage and four reports of injuries that could be related to the recalled vehicles.

This is Ford’s fifth recall in 2018, the agency’s company said.

Ford previously recalled about 1.4 million vehicles worldwide in a previous speed change recall.

Ford declined to say how many vehicles from around the world were part of the last recall. Following an April recall on the same issue, Ford continued to discuss with NHTSA vehicle field reports that were not included in previous recalls.

“Although claims rates and estimated failures have remained low, Ford has recommended a safe recall for vehicles remaining in North America” ​​with a specific cable for the shift cable.

Ford said that from April 2015 to March 2022, it identified 1,630 warranty reports and another 233 reports attributed to this concern.

To solve the problem, dealers will replace the derailleur under the hood and add a protective cover. The new parts will be made of a different quality material.

On Tuesday, the second largest carmaker in the United States said it was recalling about 49,000 Mustang Mach-E electric vehicles because a part could overheat and could lead to a loss of propulsion power. The car manufacturer will update the vehicle software to resolve the issue. Ford said in July that it had received 286 recall claims in North America related to the recall.

On Wednesday, Ford also recalled 53,103 Bronco four-door vehicles manufactured between 2021-2022, as the rear door of the passenger can be opened from inside the vehicle when the child lock is in the “ON” position.

Dealers will inspect the passenger lock and lock on the passenger side and replace them if necessary.

Ford said it was not aware of any accidents or injuries related to the Bronco or Mach-E recalls.

Ford has made the most recalls of all U.S. automakers this year, with 38 recall campaigns covering 6.6 million vehicles.