Romania is in the first five places in the top of consumers

Romania is in the first five places in the top of consumers


The European Statistical Office (Eurostat) has released a report showing that the EU consumed about 277 million tonnes of lignite last year. That figure is down 26% from 2018.

At the same time, 97% of total lignite consumption in the EU took place in six countries. These are Germany (46%), Poland (19%), the Czech Republic (11%), Bulgaria (10%), Romania (6%) and Greece (5%), according to data released by the European Statistical Office (Eurostat).

Thus, the figures for lignite production and consumption are almost identical because lignite is almost always consumed in the countries where it is produced, with very few cross-border transactions with lignite.

The EU produced 57.2 million tonnes of coal in 2021

The EU produced 57.2 million tonnes of coal in 2021, 27% less than in 2018. The number of coal-producing Member States fell from 13 countries in 1990 to just two Member States in 2021: Poland, which is responsible for 96% of total EU production, and the Czech Republic for the remaining 4%.

Poland (41%) and Germany (23%) accounted for almost two-thirds of total EU coal consumption in 2021, followed by France, the Netherlands, Italy and the Czech Republic (each with a share of between 3% and 6%).

More than half of EU countries have an import dependency rate of more than 90% when it comes to coal, but in the case of seven Member States (Greece, Luxembourg, Croatia, Romania, Cyprus, Belgium and Sweden) the import dependency rate is more than 100%, which means that these states import more coal than they usually use to stock up.

Russia has supplied more than half of EU coal imports by 2020

In 2020, Russia supplied more than half (55.6%) of EU coal imports, followed by the US (17.2%) and Australia (15.3%). Eurostat data also show that in 2021 coal production and consumption in the EU increased compared to 2020, one of the reasons being the measures related to the COVID-19 pandemic.

Even so, coal production and consumption in the EU has fallen compared to 2018. This is true for both coal and lignite.